Friday, December 19, 2008

George Lucas Melts Brains

I just watched the late 70s holiday Star Wars special and am now absolutely warped in the brain. I've waited a long time to watch this monstrosity and in no way could have imagined that this would be the result.

Let me give you an example. See the dude below, he has some weird volcano hair and a whole on top of it. As I watched I wondered what the heck was that all about? Then the barmaid, on the right (a.k.a. some lady from the Golden Girls), gave the dude a drink and he poured his cup of brew into his hair hole. This looked cheesy and fake- the pour lasted about a second. I imagine he had some fluid on his head so they could only film so much. Then the Golden Girl lady commenced to pour a pitcher of stuff into his head hole. Except you could tell the pitcher was empty and they added water flowing sounds to make it seem like there was some alcohol or something being poured into his mouth-head. If you haven't watched this then you are probably really confused, if you have seen this then you know that this isn't even the worst of it.




When I think of how the scene of the volcano head and the Golden Girl Tatooine barmaid was even presented in the first place I start to get the shakes and forget my name. A regular story contains a beginning, middle, and end. The bar scene I described doesn't fit into any of those categories. It's something that was put in there non sequitur. I can't say completely non sequitur; see some Storm Troopers were in Chewbacca's house and the Imperial Army had to send them an important information feed, so they used their home TV. And this important information was about Tatooine and that bar scene. It makes perfect sense when you don't think about it.

Any who, my buddy Dan has a great post on his watching experience:

http://www.perpetualmemoryloss.com/?p=764

Don't want to watch the whole thing, here's a TVLand worst of synopsis (copy/paste into URL):

http://www.starwarsholidayspecial.com/multimedia/tvland_top100-divx.avi

3 comments:

pml said...

Dude that scene pissed me the fuck off, and then it warped my mind to a whole new level once the singing commenced. Man oh man oh man, there is just so much I don't understand. I feel like a kid that is just learning that there is a whole wide world out there that I never knew existed. It's going to take me a few days to process all of this.

Dylan said...

ve tried to watch it a few times, but can't make it through the five minutes of Chewie's family growling at each other. It's just too painful.

Mr. Philippe said...

@pml I know.

@Dylan - Watch in shifts and you can make it out alive. Every fan should watch it at least once. I would like to see you blog about it, after watching the whole thing.