Thursday, February 26, 2009

Maps & Atlases


As of late I have been thoroughly enjoying Maps & Atlases (home page). Cristina introduced me to one of their tunes and I recently picked up their full length - Tree, Swallows, Houses. She knew I would dig them and couldn't have been more right. They are in the same vein as Sharks Keep Moving and Minus the Bear, making them an automatic winner in my book. Tom Lynch of newcitychicago.com had this to say:

"The first word that comes to mind when attempting to describe local band Maps & Atlases: complicated. Spastic rhythms and anti-rhythms assault with both a math-rock and lo-fi pop foundation, while the vocals--with lyrics apparently jammed together, seemingly in an Exquisite Corpse method (which only adds to the aural confusion)--surf a giant wave of pin-prick guitar lines and slaughterhouse drums. "

Maps & Atlases look to play in San Francisco some time soon, and they are band I will consider renting a car just to see perform.

2 comments:

Dylan said...

I like these guys. They're sort of like Dirty Projectors meets Explosions In the Sky.

neverbesocial said...

NICE!!! I feel like I've seen these guys play before, but I could be wrong. Many drunken nights at the Empty Bottle leaves my memory of bands fuzzy :/