Tuesday, August 4, 2009

An Official Red Sox Statement by Me

I was recently asked about the 2004 World Series Championship, knowing now that Manny and Papi are known performance drug-users, before and maybe after that season. My questioner called it a tainted year. My response:

If you take the few players who have tainted the game and dwell on their actions, applying it to every game and the whole season/post-season then all is tainted. I prefer to look at the players individually. Bonds' record is a sham, but his team did get to the world series and played hard, and lost thankfully. Manny and Papi, while I love'em, are dirty players. Manny for sure, but Papi still has to release a statement that might cover him, but probably not.

If I took down a whole team because of the actions of a few then I might as well give up MLB, NFL, TdF, etc. etc. That's me though, anti-sox will jump for joy and take down the whole banner despite the honest and hardworking players, staff, management, and fans that went into that 2004 season.

That's how I feel and I'm sticking to it. If it comes out that a great cyclist was doping, I blame that person not the entire team and their success.

2 comments:

pml said...

Well I don't think it means that their WS is tainted because I think that could be said about a lot of teams during this era. It's pretty much level in my opinion. However I don't believe Ortiz' fat ass he spouted out the same tired old excuses that everyone else did. Plus his dropoff has been fairly quick and significant. I'd have more respect for him if he just said "fuck yah I did it and I have two rings for all my trouble, fuck all you all." That's just me though.

Mr. Philippe said...

I think the evidence is on the weak side Ortiz is just a big teddy bear who never hurt no one.