Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Requiem for a Peugeot

My bike sits against the wall lifeless without a functioning derailleur. The sun rises early but I can't greet it in the way I want. I run yet the desire to crush scores of miles remains unfulfilled. Scouring the depths of the web and bike junkyards yields only sore eyes and greasy hands, respectively. It's time to move past the old frame, old wheels, old gears, and worn out everything. I've been hindered repeatedly in continual ways, from slipping gears, damaged brakes, bent chains, and now complete dysfunction.



It's only a matter of moments before you hurt me: rattling and crashing during a steep drop, sliding and crashing on a simple turn, or not able to brake leading to an unknown mess. Perhaps you will be resurrected for commutes, a river-ride, or a happy-hour; but for now, old friend, sleep and rest- you've earned it.

No comments: