Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Sunken Ships

Daylight savings hath arrived and it doth provide morning shine.


I'm not much of a fan of getting up early to go for a run, head to the gym, or entertain an exercise routine. However, it has become enjoyable and easier to wake up when heading out for a bike ride. It's sort of like the first day of school or Christmas, but probably more like Saturday morning cartoons; I can't wait to get up, down an espresso, get the gear on, and carry my bike down the stairs. In short, it's fun.

Sacramento is blessed with many biker friendly streets and several bike trails. As of late I have been journeying south, after trekking the Davis and American River trail routes numerous times. Sometimes I see an odd bum peering through bushes, deer munching on foliage, squirrels jetting for dear life, etc. But on the journey south I found a washed up paddle-boat along the river banks. It's novel just to see it resting there, reminding me that biking on a river trail beats the hell out of weaving through traffic and swearing at cars that cut in front of you. The river appears motionless, a once powerful ship sits dead, and the only thing moving with great speed is you.

No comments: