Friday, December 4, 2009

A Boy and His Bike

My first bike was a blue BMX equipped with training wheels. As soon as I got those trainers off I broke out of our cul-de-sac and into the wild desert, traversing onto large hills and racing down them as fast as possible. Like many kids I had a deep desire for speed, quickness, and the unknown; and the vehicle that could deliver it all was the bicycle. It was the greatest rush a 5 year old me had ever tapped into. Oh, how little things change.

CIMG4951.JPG

I picked up a Cannondale CAAD9 5 from my local bike shop, Mike's Bikes in Sacramento. Their service was top-notch and I didn't feel alienated because this was my first "real" road-bike. I had my heart set on the CAAD but just to compare, I test rode a Specialized Tarmac (impressive bike) but the bike guys even agreed that the CAAD was a better deal- the aluminum frame is second to none. This was also my first proper bike fit and it made all the difference. On this beast, I feel like I can ride over 10 hours no problems and in comfort (maybe I'll test that theory next spring).

This is a frame any cyclist can pick up and improve with little hassle; and plenty of people race on these frames, road and cyclocross. It's equipped with Shimano 105s (perfect for the apprentice me) and I added Shimano Ultegra pedals. There's really no nice comparison with the ol' 1983 Peugeot and a 2010 bike. The CAAD handles amazingly well, holds true/stiff, and is incredibly light. In short, it's swift and smooth. This bike has a lot to offer and I have plenty to learn and much like the blue BMX, I will grow with it.


CIMG4952.JPG

No comments: